EFA: Etsy For Animals Etsy For Animals: Animal-Friendly EASY Holiday Desserts


Etsy for Animals (EFA) aka Artists Helping Animals,

is a team of independent artists, craftspeople,

vintage sellers and craft suppliers on Etsy.com

who are dedicated to providing charitable relief to animals

by donating a portion of the profits from their shops

to an animal charity of their choosing,

and/or to EFA's featured Charity of the Month.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Animal-Friendly EASY Holiday Desserts


Animal-Friendly EASY Holiday Desserts
Written by Ashley of BirdsInHand



This Thanksgiving, I am cooking my first ever holiday dinner – all on my own.


We’ll have a Tofurkey, vegan gravy and stuffing, potatoes, squash casserole, and cranberries – all of the tradition with none of the animal-derived ingredients like meat, milk, butter, and eggs.


As a relatively new vegan, I’m still very much in an experimental stage of baking – which is really fun, and I rarely make the same thing twice. Of course with my sweet tooth, I’d like to share the most important part of the meal: dessert !


The cookies I came up with myself from scratch; the pie and cake are modified from common recipes I’ve found online. All contain pretty basic ingredients, and the only things that might be missing from the average non-vegan kitchen are tofu and Ener-G egg replacer powder. I’ve gotten egg replacer from Whole Foods and online, and tofu can be found in almost any grocery store (even in middle-of-nowhere Oklahoma).


These recipes have all passed taste tests with my non-vegan friends and family. I myself prefer less sweet desserts, but these are calibrated to what seems to be the more usual palate.





Pumpkin Pie


Only 3 ingredients – how easy is that!

This recipe makes two 8-inch pies, using a ready-made or your own homemade crust.


1 ¼ cups cashews, soaked overnight in water

8 oz Tofu (choose the least firm variety)

1 large can (about 30 oz) Pumpkin Pie Mix (with sugars/spices included)


Directions. Pre-heat oven to 375. Blend all ingredients thoroughly in a food processor. Pour into 2 pie shells, smoothing the tops. Bake for 30 minutes, cool, and allow to firm in the refrigerator.





Chocolate Cake


This is especially good the next day, after spending a night in the fridge.

Many vegan recipes (in my opinion) use too much oil, and this version is perfectly moist without the excess. Add a can of cherry pie filling on top for a decadent dessert.


1 ¼ cups flour

1 cup sugar (I use organic)

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

1 cup warm water

1 tsp vanilla

¼ cup oil

1 tsp vinegar

Cherry pie filling or icing (ingredients below)


Directions: Preheat oven to 350. Thoroughly mix dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients in order, stirring well. Pour into 8x8 pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Don’t overbake! If you prefer icing to the cherries, mix together ½ cup sugar, 4 tbsp vegan margarine, 2 tbsp soymilk, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, and 2 tsp vanilla for a delicious icing, and pour on the cake after it has partially cooled.





Cookies- any flavor


I have used different boxed cake mixes (I check to be sure they contain no dairy ingredients), and my most-quickly-eaten ones are Spice (I add an extra ½ tsp of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger for extra flavor) and Lemon (replace soymilk/water with lemon juice).


You can add raisins, nuts, etc for more interesting cookies. They freeze well, and I make them in bulk ahead of time. These are not healthy cookies by any means, but are so convenient when I need to bring something that everyone will like, because they have so much flavor.


18 oz (approximately) box of cake mix, your choice of flavor

2 egg replacements (3 tsp Ener-G egg replacer and 4 tbsp water, mixed well)

4 ounces tofu, blended in food processor

¼ cup oil

1/8 cup soymilk – or water, in a pinch


Directions: Pre-heat oven to 375. Mix wet ingredients, then slowly add the boxed cake mix. The dough should be stiff, but moist enough to stick together. Add either flour or water if the mix is a bit too wet or dry (all mixes vary slightly). Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet - I use a mechanical ice cream scoop for consistently sized cookies. They bake for about 10-12 minutes, but watch them closely, as they vary in cooking time.



ENJOY !


6 comments:

  1. YUM... Deserts are the best course in any meal !
    THANKS so much for putting this together for us, Ashley :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three Cheers for vegan desserts! That's the largest section in my personal recipe collection. I can't WAIT to try the cake! Do you think raspberry pie filling would work?

    Psst, what gravy are you making? I haven't found my 'go to' yet. We're having Tofurky here at home - but I briefly entertained the idea of a Seitan Roulade. There chances are better that Ellie will eat the Tofurky. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What clever ideas. I can't wait to try the cookies. Thanks for including my pumpkin tags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I always feel sorry for family members/friends when they act all embarrassed. I'm sure people in that position will appreciate easy-to-follow recipes like these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see yummy vegan recipes! They sound delish! My Mom makes the best vegan stuffing and we used to always make rosemary potatoes. Veg mushroom gravy and vegan mashed potatoes can be yummy too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post! I would recommend Bryanna's seitan turkey; it's pretty good, though a bit laborious with the baking time and turning. She's taken it down from her site, which I think she is revamping. Found the recipe at http://pastebin.com/RLzqtdAq Also, I substitute the tofu with a can of pinto beans and that works well.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a positive comment :)
We shall publish it as soon as it is approved...
THANKS for visiting !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...