EFA: Etsy For Animals Etsy For Animals: ART UNLEASHED: An artistic fundraiser for homeless animals


Etsy for Animals (EFA) aka Artists Helping Animals,

is a team of independent artists, craftspeople,

vintage sellers and craft suppliers on Etsy.com

who are dedicated to providing charitable relief to animals

by donating a portion of the profits from their shops

to an animal charity of their choosing,

and/or to EFA's featured Charity of the Month.

Monday, December 14, 2009

ART UNLEASHED: An artistic fundraiser for homeless animals

By Rebecca of kneedeeporiginals - http://kneedeeporiginals.etsy.com

In September, I spent some hours on designs for the upcoming Art Unleashed 2010 fundraiser for the Forsyth County Humane Society in North Carolina. This event connects artists with the organization and the local community as a way to raise money to support the Humane Society, its programs, and the care of the animals who reside there while they wait for a new home. I first got involved with Art Unleashed during their 2007/2008 event when I entered a last-minute design which was selected. There were approximately 60 designs chosen out of about 280, and these 60 chosen pieces ultimately helped to raise, through an auction party, $58,000 for the Humane Society. Each accepted artist received a cat or dog fiberglass form to paint, decorate, or enhance in whatever way their design called for. It was simply amazing to see the beautiful work that came from the project and how each artist had such a different vision. Here is my dog, Dogwood, who now lives at the home of a wonderful husband and wife eye-doctor team who purchased him at the auction for $750 ...

To create the base, I thought about my own dogs (both rescued dogs) and how they are so faithful and loving, such wonderful companions in all seasons of life. So they inspired the words I wrote and painted around the base of the sculpture: "I will fetch the sticks you throw into blue-dream skies. I'll carry your cares, sing them to the moon, lay among dogwood petals, waiting patiently at your feet."

The 2009/2010 fundraiser will be a little different. Only 10 dog forms and 10 cat forms will be created, but artists are encouraged to submit designs for original art, such as a painting, collage, 3-D work, furniture, house wares, and whatever else they can think of. The deadline for submission was in mid-September, and I busied myself with other art and activities while I patiently waited to hear if either of my designs was chosen. Finally, during the first week of December, I got a phone call and yippee!! The selection committee picked my cat design, Scout in the Garden, and I am so excited! The design was based on my own cat, a rescued kitty who always keeps me company in the garden when I am working the dirt and weeding and planting flowers and veggies.

Here's the design I submitted and what I will follow once I pick up my form which should be ready in early January.

Once the holidays are over, I'll be busy with this project. Stay tuned to my blog athttp://kneedeepstudio.blogspot.com where I'll post updates, images, details, and links as Scout in the Garden develops and as the event unfolds next spring with a kick-off parade through downtown streets.

I would encourage others to seek to begin this kind of fundraiser for their local animal charities… it’s so much fun and it involves many people in artistic and positive ways to raise awareness for animal advocacy. You'll be amazed at the number of people who will want to be involved, either as an artist or a sponsor!! Follow this link to learn more about Art Unleashed: http://www/forsythhumane.org/art_unleashed_ 2010.asp

1 comment:

  1. Dogwood is fab! Lucky couple who have him! Great fundraising idea!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a positive comment :)
We shall publish it as soon as it is approved...
THANKS for visiting !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...