If you can, please help!
- UPDATE 10-25-08: Bay Area Pet Adoptions in San Leon, Texas was devastated by hurricane Ike and is in desperate need of donations to repair their buildings. View photos of the damage, and see their current needs here. Donations may be made on-line - for more information, please click here.
- Please see SRM's Hurricane Ike Animal Rescues blog for more updates, and to find more small organizations needing help.
- Updates on animal organizations may also be found on the Best Friends Network Texas news page.
Many animal organizations in Texas and other states have been impacted by the hurricane, and/or are helping animals affected by the hurricane. Learn more, or donate, by clicking on the links below:
- O'Malley Alley Cats in Lufkin needs contributions to help repair their facility. Please see this news story in the Lufkin Daily News.
- Noah's Ark Sanctuary in Cypress needs contributions for repairs to their facility.
- Whiskerville Sanctuary in Texas City needs contributions to buy a generator and care for many rescued animals.
- Spindletop Pit Bull Rescue in Willis needs contributions to repair their facility - read more here.
- Cinnamon's Companions Animal Sanctuary near Houston is in need of funding to transport cats and kittens to Purrfect Angels Sanctuary in California. More details have been posted on the Best Friends Network here.
- Habitat for Horses is rescuing and caring for horses on Galveston Island, and also needs help to rebuild their own facilities, which were damaged by the hurricane. Learn more, or donate, here.
The Houston SPCA has taken in animals from the Galveston Animal Shelter, and Galveston County, as well as the Brazoria County SPCA. They have also set up a temporary shelter on Galveston Island to care for the animals who are still being rescued there. Also helping rescue animals in the affected areas are the other members of the Texas State Animal Resource Team:
SPCA of Texas
The Humane Society of Missouri Disaster Response Team
The Denver Dumb Friends League
The Louisiana SPCA
Code 3 Associates
SPCAla Disaster Animal Response Team
Humane Society of the Pike's Peak Region
- The Humane Society of Southeast Texas, the Humane Society/SPCA of Bexar County, the Waco Humane Society, the SPCA of Texas and other regional shelters are taking in and caring for evacuated animals.
- Texas AgriLife Extension is coordinating relief efforts to provide food and water for 20,000 cattle and horses who are now roaming in several Southeast Texas counties following Hurricane Ike. You can donate to the "No Fences Hurricane Ike Horse and Cattle Relief Fund" here. Hay, feed, water troughs and portable panels are also needed.
- The Wildlife Rehab & Education Center in Houston is caring for wild animals who were injured during the storm. You can donate to them here. For more details, please see this post on the Best Friends Network.
- Pets America has been working with the Red Cross to care for animals that
were evacuated to shelters.
- Several national animal groups are doing animal search and rescue, assisting shelters (and helping in other ways) in areas affected by the hurricane:
Best Friends Rapid Reponse Team
Humane Society of the United States Disaster Center
United Animal Nations Emergency Animal Rescue Service
North Shore Animal League America Emergency Rescue
International Fund for Animal Welfare Emergency Relief Team
American Humane Associate Animal Emergency Services
ASPCA Disaster Relief
If you know of another organization that is caring for animals stranded after Hurricane Ike, please leave a comment on this post so we can add it to the list.
Many thanks to Jennifer Hayes of the Best Friends Network for her help in compiling these links!
Thursday, September 18, 2008
If you can, please help!